Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Creammy Blueberry Roll ~My 1st Swiss Roll Attempt~ ;-)


Actually I did my 1st Swiss Roll during my Secondary School's Home Econs lessons... and I never succeed :P everytime, my sponge just break when I roll :( so I told myself I never want to roll any cake anymore :P

I'm addicted to Rachel Allen's Bake on Discovery Travel and Living Channel.... Saw her teaching @ her baking school this yummy Swiss Roll... it looked so simple and I just wanna make it ;-)

Rachel Allen's Recipe & method

Whisk 4 eggs and 125g or caster sugar @ high speed for 5-7mins till u get a pale and fluffy texture
add in 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 2 tbsp warm water... whisk for another min.
Sift in 125g of plain flour and fold in to the egg mixture using a spectular.

On a Swiss roll tray, line with baking paper. Lightly brush the sides with Oil and dust with plain flour. Then shake off the excess flour from the tray.

Empty the batter on the Swiss roll tray, spreading gently. Bake @ 190°c for 12-15mins.

After u take the baked sponge out of the oven, lightly press down the sides, sticking to the tray, to release the cake.
Turn out quickly on a big piece of baking paper, dusted with icing sugar. Peel off the baking paper from the sponge cake carefully.
Take a dammed clean tea towel and cover the cake to prevent drying out and also to cool off the cake.

Spread a generous layer of your favourite jam on the sponge cake, follow by another layer of whipped cream ~then ROLL ~:D

I think my cake look kind of ugly :P but being my 1st attempt after 20+yrs of "cake rolling phobia"... I think I got out of that phobia and will be rolling more cakes in my future baking adventure ;-)

and just like what Rachel Allen said.... there is no butter in this cake.... no fat! so u can feel guilt-free splurging lots of non-diary whipped cream in this cake :D and I think I really had too much whipped cream in my cake this time :D hahaa....

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Its a gd try still! make another few more and it will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks!! i will be rolling more cakes again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Fatmum, never give up :)
    And don't be greedy with the filling. Try to spread thinly over the cake, then I think it will be more easier to roll.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails