Friday, May 8, 2009

06 May 09 : Checkerboard Cake

I always wonder how to create those checker boxes inside cakes....

Last week, I borrowed "Cakes Galore" by Valerie Barrett from Yishun Library and there is this Pink and White Cake which Nyx said its so beautiful. Its actually a checkerboard cake which was what I wanted to do... so I started my experiment (again :D)

I made 2 6-inches round sponge cakes, 1 strawberry and 1 vanilla.

  • Cut the cake into slices of about 1/2 inches thick for each slice
  • Use cookie cutters in 2 different sizes to cut out rings of cake from the slices
  • Assemble to cake with alternate colours.

I tried to imitate the decoration of the cake on the book but my piping skill is still very limited... so this is the outcome :P Evelyn suggested to change the icing colour to green and it'll look like durian :D I will do that for my durian cake.... soooon... :D

This is quite easy to make... but hor, I was too lazy to spread some icing in-between the cake slices to secure the cake... little cube of checkers actually fall off when i cut it... anyway, its ok as all got to go inside my tummy after all :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails