Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Strawberry Jam by ME :D

Again... being an ADDICT to FoodGawker, I was eager to make my own fruit preserves.... just like the rest of the people there ;->
Commercial Jams & preserves are really far TOOOOooooooo sweet for a "almost-diabetic" person like me :P But I do love jam with chunky strawberries.... I have new experiment to do ;-)
As most FoodGawker-er r in not Asian, my 1st task is to find Fruit Pectin here in Singapore... I went Cold Storage @ Holland Village. But with disappointment, "Sure Boh" :P No "Sure Jell"! LOL.....
Luckily @ my 2nd venture @ Market Place, Tanglin Mall, I found it :D ~Happy~:D
As stated in the Sure-Jell packaging instructions, I need to store the Jam in pre-sterilized containers and it can last to up to a year in freezer! SO, am I going to buy some new Jam Jars to store my new experiment?? ....And I dug thru my cabinets and found this great solution :D I have a full lot of Abundant AVENT milk bottles & Sterilizer, retired from service some time ago!!


Ingredients (As stated in Sure-Jell Pectin Recipes) Yield: 1-litre of Jam
  • 300 gm Strawberries
  • Juice from 1/2 a lemon
  • 350 gm sugar
  • 1 packet "Sure Jell" Fruit Pectin
  • 250 ml water
Method

  • Wash and sterilize the containers using for storage
  • Cut & crush strawberries using finger, fork, whatever u wish... but do not puree in blender!
  • Mix crushed strawberries with lemon juice and set aside
  • Stir the whole pack of Pectin with sugar thoroughly.
  • Stir in water. Bring water to boil, stirring constantly... for further 1 minute, remove from heat
  • Stir in Strawberry quickly into the above... continue to stir for another minute.
  • Pour into pre-sterilized containers, leaving 2cm space at top for expansion during freezing
  • Let it stand at room temperature for 24hrs until set.
  • Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or Store in Freezer for up to 1 year!! (Thaw in refrigerator for usage)

And there is my happy Strawberry Jam inside the AVENT bottle... going into the freezer tomorrow and is going to stay there for a while.



Fresh Strawberry Jam on Foodista

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sherynn! I found this blog in Foodista and followed it here. This is a lovely blog and awesome strawberry jam recipe. I'm just curious, what is fruit pectin? By the way you can place more Foodista widget in your past and future blogs so that other Foodista readers can follow and see your blog too. Just search for a related recipe or food in Foodista and use its widget. I hope to read more from you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails