Again... being an ADDICT to FoodGawker, I was eager to make my own fruit preserves.... just like the rest of the people there ;->
Commercial Jams & preserves are really far TOOOOooooooo sweet for a "almost-diabetic" person like me :P But I do love jam with chunky strawberries.... I have new experiment to do ;-)
As most FoodGawker-er r in not Asian, my 1st task is to find Fruit Pectin here in Singapore... I went Cold Storage @ Holland Village. But with disappointment, "Sure Boh" :P No "Sure Jell"! LOL.....
Luckily @ my 2nd venture @ Market Place, Tanglin Mall, I found it :D ~Happy~:D
As stated in the Sure-Jell packaging instructions, I need to store the Jam in pre-sterilized containers and it can last to up to a year in freezer! SO, am I going to buy some new Jam Jars to store my new experiment?? ....And I dug thru my cabinets and found this great solution :D I have a full lot of Abundant AVENT milk bottles & Sterilizer, retired from service some time ago!!
Ingredients (As stated in Sure-Jell Pectin Recipes) Yield: 1-litre of Jam
- 300 gm Strawberries
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 350 gm sugar
- 1 packet "Sure Jell" Fruit Pectin
- 250 ml water
- Wash and sterilize the containers using for storage
- Cut & crush strawberries using finger, fork, whatever u wish... but do not puree in blender!
- Mix crushed strawberries with lemon juice and set aside
- Stir the whole pack of Pectin with sugar thoroughly.
- Stir in water. Bring water to boil, stirring constantly... for further 1 minute, remove from heat
- Stir in Strawberry quickly into the above... continue to stir for another minute.
- Pour into pre-sterilized containers, leaving 2cm space at top for expansion during freezing
- Let it stand at room temperature for 24hrs until set.
- Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or Store in Freezer for up to 1 year!! (Thaw in refrigerator for usage)
And there is my happy Strawberry Jam inside the AVENT bottle... going into the freezer tomorrow and is going to stay there for a while.